6v voltage regulators

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

evileye1000

6v voltage regulators

Post by evileye1000 »

I recently purchased my first VW in about 30 years. I bought a 1966 bug and it's still 6 volt. My voltage regulator was shot and i was lucky to find a NOS Bosch one on eBay. I found that it's pretty hard to find some of these old 6v parts. My question is, does anybody rebuild 6v voltage regulators. I know that people will buy back the old core of the generator to rebuild, but what about the the voltage regulator? I want to make sure that I don't throw the old one away if it still has value.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Electrical components like that really aren't rebuildable, and the fact that you found one NOS indicates the stuff is still out there.
Itskyle

Re: 6v voltage regulators

Post by Itskyle »

evileye1000 wrote:I recently purchased my first VW in about 30 years. I bought a 1966 bug and it's still 6 volt. My voltage regulator was shot and i was lucky to find a NOS Bosch one on eBay. I found that it's pretty hard to find some of these old 6v parts. My question is, does anybody rebuild 6v voltage regulators. I know that people will buy back the old core of the generator to rebuild, but what about the the voltage regulator? I want to make sure that I don't throw the old one away if it still has value.
You should try O'Reilly Auto Parts. The one in town carries the 6Volt Starters...

Couldn't hurt, and good luck!
--
66 Bug current (Wife likes better than the Prius)
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (Miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)