Headlamp Restoration

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

SharkQueen

Headlamp Restoration

Post by SharkQueen »

Anyone know how to restore glass headlamps and make them look nice?

I was going to try Mother's Headlamp restorer but it says that stuff is for plastics and I wasn't sure if it would ruin my headlamps.
Itskyle

Re: Headlamp Restoration

Post by Itskyle »

SharkQueen wrote:Anyone know how to restore glass headlamps and make them look nice?

I was going to try Mother's Headlamp restorer but it says that stuff is for plastics and I wasn't sure if it would ruin my headlamps.
I don't think it would ruin them.

I just don't think it will work, if what you are talking about is the oxidization or clouding over of your headlamp lense covers. I would suggest a de-oxidization solution such as CLR to clear them out.

Good luck,
and let us know how it goes.
--
66 Bug current (Wife likes better than the Prius)
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (Miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
SharkQueen

Post by SharkQueen »

Not really that. They have little pits in them from rock chips and such. I suppose I could just leave it how it is since it since they aren't that horrible lol.
Itskyle

Oh, I see what you need...

Post by Itskyle »

SharkQueen wrote:Not really that. They have little pits in them from rock chips and such. I suppose I could just leave it how it is since it since they aren't that horrible lol.
A couple of quick things here:

1.) Try and find some reputable glass place that may be able to grind it down, ala watch repair.

or

2.) By that windshield crack repair epoxy, and try your own luck at it, just don't get your fingers stuck to the glass permanently!

3.) The place where I work makes indestructible scratch guards for phones and tablets. I often wonder how well this film would hold up to the horrors of the road on my headlights and windshield.

First things first, I have to get Herbie back operational after his engine fire.

Good luck!
--
66 Bug current (Wife likes better than the Prius)
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (Miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

There's not much you can do for the glass covers short of searching for an NOS set.
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

I've had reasonable success 'restoring' windshield glass clarity using #000 steel wool to polish out the years of grit and grime sandblasting that windshields take. It takes a lot elbow grease, but it can be done. As far is filling in pits and chips, you might want to try a product called BONDIC ...its kind of like superglue, but you use UV light to cure it. Google it.
hercdriver

Post by hercdriver »

WolfsburgWest makes a great replacement lens. $40 (for two) plus shipping and call it done.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/Detai ... 11941115HW