daily driver & project

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
bruisedblue

daily driver & project

Post by bruisedblue »

This blue 66 is my 4th beetle I have owned but is my favorite. I have always wanted a 66 as it still has the look of the "Herbie" I grew up with (my dad had a 64 he drove to work) and it has the bigger engine and newer additions (bigger windows, emergency flashers, etc.). I am driving it to work and fixing it up as I go. One day I want to rebuild it completely with my kids. I appreciate this forum, thanks for setting it up.
Attachments
bruised blue (400x300).jpg
bruised blue (400x300).jpg (52.53 KiB) Viewed 24644 times
Last edited by bruisedblue on Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Thanks for joining the forum!
Bug-Eyed

Post by Bug-Eyed »

I really wanted a Blue '66 myself. I bought a brand new one in 1966 while stationed in Germany back in the day. I've been wanting another '66 for 40 years and finally scored one about 2 weeks ago. It's not Blue but I can't afford to be picky as hard as a decent car is to find these days.

Last edited by Bug-Eyed on Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
bruisedblue

Germany

Post by bruisedblue »

The car I bought was purchased in Germany and taken to the US as well. The first owner lived in CA at the time. He then sold it to a college girl who drove it in CA (owner #2). She got married and relocated to FL and her husband then drove it to work until they put it in a barn back in 86/87. They sold it to me (owner #3).
bruisedblue

Post by bruisedblue »

Beautiful car. You are right, it is hard to find one that is in the shape yours is in these days. Is that the original color white or a different shade? It reminds me of my dad's 64, his was white with red interior.
Bug-Eyed

Post by Bug-Eyed »

bruisedblue wrote:Beautiful car. You are right, it is hard to find one that is in the shape yours is in these days. Is that the original color white or a different shade? It reminds me of my dad's 64, his was white with red interior.
It is the original color but the Pearl White has been repainted.
Bug-Eyed

Post by Bug-Eyed »

bruisedblue wrote:Beautiful car. You are right, it is hard to find one that is in the shape yours is in these days. Is that the original color white or a different shade? It reminds me of my dad's 64, his was white with red interior.
It's not the original paint but it is the original Pearl White color. At least I think it is. I'm waiting for the birth certificate to find out what the original color was.
bruisedblue

birth certificate

Post by bruisedblue »

Your car sure is looking nice. Did you receive your birth certificate yet? I am considering ordering one as well for my car, how do you order one? Probably best to check out a forum with that info, right?
Bug-Eyed

Re: birth certificate

Post by Bug-Eyed »

bruisedblue wrote:Your car sure is looking nice. Did you receive your birth certificate yet? I am considering ordering one as well for my car, how do you order one? Probably best to check out a forum with that info, right?
I have not received the birth certificate yet. It's been about 6 months since I ordered it. Follow this link to ordering a birth certificate for your car. http://1966vwbeetle.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=41
Retired 21 years US Army - 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brigade
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

[quote="Bug-Eyed"]I really wanted a Blue '66 myself. I bought a brand new one in 1966 while stationed in Germany back in the day. I've been wanting another '66 for 40 years and finally scored one about 2 weeks ago. It's not Blue but I can't afford to be picky as hard as a decent car is to find these days.

I notice in your photobucket gallery that you show the car both with blackwall tires, and with whitewalls. Did you paint your own whitewalls???
Bug-Eyed

Post by Bug-Eyed »

Digger89L wrote:I notice in your photobucket gallery that you show the car both with black-wall tires, and with whitewalls. Did you paint your own whitewalls?
When I bought the car it had cheap Chinese black-wall tires on it. I bought a new set of Coker WW tires about 6 months ago.
Retired 21 years US Army - 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brigade