My Empty Nest Syndrom Project Car

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
timmy2

My Empty Nest Syndrom Project Car

Post by timmy2 »

Now that it's just the wife and I, I recently took on a new project. (Both of our sons are in the Army now. Our older one has been in for four years now, and is stationed in Texas. Our younger one just enlisted, and is stationed in Germany.)

A buddy of mine was moving, and could not take his 1966 Type I with him. A deal to sell it on CraigsList fell through last minute, and he asked me to buy it. More as a favor to him than me wanting the car, I purhcased it for $800.00. I've never owned, nor thought I would own, a Volkswagen. Oh well, it looked like fun.

I had to dolly it home, a distance of about 75miles. That was mid July. So far I have gotten the following done:

Re-built generator
New stock voltage regulator
New fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel pump
New stock carb (long battle with that one, 12V vs 6V learning curve)
New floor pans
New stock steering wheel
New stock turn signal assy
New odometer (not installed yet)
New speedometer cable (not installed yet)
New EMPI wheels (not installed yet)
New headlights
New license plate light
New 6V grounding wire
Repaired boot lock
New weather stripping (temp measure, cheap rubber-- will redo when I paint)
New door lock key (vehicle did not have one at time of purchase)

Here's a picture:

I've also stripped the interior, and am running with just the driver's seat. I purchased a set of used (in good condition) 1966 lowback seats. I re-upholstered one of the old seats so I could drive it.

I plan to paint the car a dark metalic green, and install a simple black interiror from Sew Fine. The 1300cc motor will be stored, and a new "Turn-key" motor (+transaxle and rear axle) installed.

So far I've found very little rust (except for the pans, which have since been replaced)

The tires were bad when I bought it, with side cracks from the weather. I put off buying new tires because I hadn't picked out wheels yet. I hadn't picked out wheels because I wanted to do the brakes first. A good plan, until I had the driver's side front tire blow out on the freeway.

I got the new wheels this week, but I'm waiting for payday for new tires. I had Big-O order one each of two brands, Yokohama and Nitto. I forgot the size, but they are wider and shorter than stock, but should not interfere with anything. I will pick one out Monday afternoon and plan to install them Friday.

Once I reach this point, I will have a reliable driver that I will feel comfortable with as I shop for other parts of this project.

As I get things done, I will add more pictures.
timmy2

Post by timmy2 »

I got the new tires and wheels put on Friday. I had some trouble with the new EMPI wheels. The lug bolts I purchased were too long, and interfered with the front brakes. The originals were too short. Grinding a few threads of the new bolts did not have the desired effect. Eventually, the Tire Installer Dude put on a set of conversion studs and lug nuts. I will probably want to replace these soon with the correct lug bolts.

Anyways, here she is now:

Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

I know color is subjective and you may be set on the green, but the original Bahama Blue color is attractive, and the car would hold more value left in its stock color.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Yes, that is true and you don't see many Bahama Blue bugs (at least not up here in Wisconsin), that was a great color!
Kevboy888

Post by Kevboy888 »

You have done a nice job in a short amount of time. I did not particularly like the original sea sand color when I started my restoration, but it is funny how it grows on you as you do the mechanical work. Looking forward to seeing more pictures as it goes along. :D
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

I had a 66 with sea sand paint and what i liked about it was that it took on different colors depending on how the light hit it.