1972 Bus Brakes Master Cylinder

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

KKV270

1972 Bus Brakes Master Cylinder

Post by KKV270 »

Hi Guys.

Im working on a bus and noticed its brakes master cylinder is missing. Would a 1967's bug brake master cylinder surfice the deficit?
daves66

Re: 1972 Bus Brakes Master Cylinder

Post by daves66 »

KKV270 wrote:Hi Guys.

Im working on a bus and noticed its brakes master cylinder is missing. Would a 1967's bug brake master cylinder surfice the deficit?
I really doubt it is right, likely the Bus needs a different volume of fluid delivered than the Bug to move the pads to contact the drum/rotor (did the 72 bus have front discs???) The Bug had tiny wheel cylinder's relative to what I bet the Bus has, thus the bus should require a larger master.

The bore diameter and stroke may not work, and the outlets for the metal brake lines may be in different locations, requiring a lot of work to get the existing lines to fit, if they can be fit.

The bore diameter will determine how much pressure can be built up in the brakes with a given foot pressure.

I really don't know, but I doubt very much it is a good choice. the Bus has such a different brake need, it is near twice the weight vehicle after all.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

No, a bus uses a power assist.