My '66 Sedan is coming along nicely

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
Bug-Eyed

My '66 Sedan is coming along nicely

Post by Bug-Eyed »

I've had my 1966 Beetle Sedan since February 2014. So far I've spent approximately $3500 on it upgrading things like a new steering wheel, grab handle, radio, pop-outs, new windshield, new Coker tires and refinished wheels and an electronic distributor. I recently discovered that the front and rear bumper reinforcement brackets are missing.

Last edited by Bug-Eyed on Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Retired 21 years US Army - 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brigade
hercdriver

Post by hercdriver »

Great looking car!
Bug-Eyed

Post by Bug-Eyed »

hercdriver wrote:Great looking car!
Thank you Sir!
netsniper

Post by netsniper »

Brilliant its good to see something like this :wink:
Bug-Eyed

Post by Bug-Eyed »

I sure have been enjoying driving my Bug. There are still a few things I need to get done. The engine and compartment needs a good detail job. I need to install a new set of seat belts.

Last edited by Bug-Eyed on Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

Sweet!
Bug-Eyed

Post by Bug-Eyed »

darzoom wrote:Sweet!
What do you think would look best for seat belts, Black or White?
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

I feel black would go bettere against the red. White would pop out.
Bug-Eyed

Post by Bug-Eyed »

darzoom wrote:I feel Black would go better against the red. White would pop out.
I agree. It has off White ones in it now and they just don't look right to me. Besides they are a bit soiled and need replacing anyhow. Thanks for the input.
Junglemod

Post by Junglemod »

Bug-Eyed wrote:I sure have been enjoying driving my Bug. There are still a few things I need to get done. The engine and compartment needs a good detail job. I need to install a new set of seat belts.

Looking great !!!!
Little detailed bits make it stand out too ...
Bug-Eyed

Post by Bug-Eyed »

Junglemod wrote:
Bug-Eyed wrote:I sure have been enjoying driving my Bug. There are still a few things I need to get done. The engine and compartment needs a good detail job. I need to install a new set of seat belts.(/quote)
Looking great !!!!
Little detailed bits make it stand out too ...
I've been considering gravel guards.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

I had gravel guards on mine and cringed when I had to drill through the fenders to put them on. With the latest restore I healed the holes in the fenders for the respray. I too am now struggling with should I put more on as I thought they looked good. The goodness is I don't live anywhere near gravel so now it is not a consideration as it was before.
Bug-Eyed

Post by Bug-Eyed »

darzoom wrote:I had gravel guards on mine and cringed when I had to drill through the fenders to put them on. With the latest restore I healed the holes in the fenders for the respray. I too am now struggling with should I put more on as I thought they looked good. The goodness is I don't live anywhere near gravel so now it is not a consideration as it was before.
That settles that. We aren't drilling any holes. Now if someone made gravel guards that were held on with double back tape I may consider a set.
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

Trick I learned attaching emblems to older vehicles: for those rear fender stone guards that are supposed to be screwed on, cut the mounting screws off about an 16th of an inch longer than required to go through the guard, then treat it as a rivet and hammer it flat from the backside. If the hole in the guard is too big, use a pop-rivet washer on the backside to fill the space. Do this with all the screw holes. Then, get some 3M EX4011 trim attachment adhesive tape ...the half inch wide stuff .. and put a one-inch length behind each screw/rivet and attach the guard to the fender in the appropriate location. Several benefits: this method will leave the guard about a 16th of an inch off the paint surface of the fender, allowing you to spray water down behind the guard and clean it out (prevent rust from occurring due to trapped dirt, etc); putting the adhesive on the back of the screw/rivets stops the rivets from scratching the paint on the fender, as would likely happen if you put the adhesive strips elsewhere; if you want to remove the fender guards later on, gentle coaxing with a heat gun will help you get them off without damaging the paint on the fender.
Bug-Eyed

Post by Bug-Eyed »

That's a great idea! I may consider doing that. Thanks for the idea.
Digger89L wrote:Trick I learned attaching emblems to older vehicles: for those rear fender stone guards that are supposed to be screwed on, cut the mounting screws off about an 16th of an inch longer than required to go through the guard, then treat it as a rivet and hammer it flat from the backside. If the hole in the guard is too big, use a pop-rivet washer on the backside to fill the space. Do this with all the screw holes. Then, get some 3M EX4011 trim attachment adhesive tape ...the half inch wide stuff .. and put a one-inch length behind each screw/rivet and attach the guard to the fender in the appropriate location. Several benefits: this method will leave the guard about a 16th of an inch off the paint surface of the fender, allowing you to spray water down behind the guard and clean it out (prevent rust from occurring due to trapped dirt, etc); putting the adhesive on the back of the screw/rivets stops the rivets from scratching the paint on the fender, as would likely happen if you put the adhesive strips elsewhere; if you want to remove the fender guards later on, gentle coaxing with a heat gun will help you get them off without damaging the paint on the fender.