What carb and dizzy on your 1200

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
netsniper

What carb and dizzy on your 1200

Post by netsniper »

What carburettor have you got on your 1200 stock engine, and what Dizzy
Bug-Eyed

Post by Bug-Eyed »

What are you doing to Your engine?
Retired 21 years US Army - 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brigade
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

Zenith 32 two barrel and a 050.
netsniper

Post by netsniper »

Bug-Eyed wrote:What are you doing to Your engine?
Nothing just wondered what a good combination would be? with different carbs
Last edited by netsniper on Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

I just noticed you said stock 1200 engine. What I gave before was on a 1776 with a cam and headwork. Back when we raced with 1200cc (40HP) we could run nothing larger than a 30 PICT as required by class rules. We were also able to add a cam to our liking.

The class we ran was "D" Class also known as "Bomber" Class where we ran stock VW bodies, pans, suspension set-up but could remove fenders and chop off back of the car for access to the engine. You also had a full roll cage with front , side and rear bars for protection from other cars as you can imagine there was a lot of pushing and bumping.

Before people get upset that we destroyed old VW’s, our came from a junk yard and had been in a fire and was non-restorable. This made it a perfect candidate for our class and we did not have much to strip to make it meet class rules. I was the wrench and my little brother was the driver. Our dad was the team owner. It was a weekend family affair.

I also ran a set of dual 28 pict on a 1200 and it ran very well. I had that set-up on a sand rail and it did very well as it was very light and I did not need a big motor.
netsniper

Post by netsniper »

Can someone tell me more about the types of distributors, ie I hear that there is an SVDA, a 009 and an SVA so what's the difference with all 3?
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

this is the most details and best article I have found:

http://www.vw-resource.com/right_dizzy.html
netsniper

Solex 30 pict-1

Post by netsniper »

Hi I have a question I am hoping you can help with, I have an original Solex 30 Pict-1 carb which is new, I sent it off to have it checked and any parts replaced as needed to suit my 1200, I really would like to use this carb (because its new) with my 1200 but not sure what Distributor I should use? can you advise me please. Also would you use an electronic dizzy or points with this carb.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

I would use an SVDA Distributor on a stock motor with a 30 pict as it appears stock but is really updated.
netsniper

Post by netsniper »

darzoom wrote:I would use an SVDA Distributor on a stock motor with a 30 pict as it appears stock but is really updated.
Thank you Image