Would like to add third middle high brake light

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

dcarlson12

Would like to add third middle high brake light

Post by dcarlson12 »

Would like to mount 6 volt or combination 6v and 12 volt(for the day if and when I convert to 12 volt) third middle brake light on the inside of the rear window.
Has anyone here done this?
If so, source and part model number of the light?
And is it as bright as you expected it to be? i.e. are you happy with it?
Thks,
Dwight
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

I did this and I am happy with the brightness. I started with a Hella bumper mounted reverse light. I replaced the clear lens with a reproduction 1957 and older type II brake light lens. They are available in glass or plastic. Mine is glass. I haven't owned a plastic lens so I can't comment on them. The metal for mounting it is custom/modified. I tapped into the original brake light wire where it ran underneath the rear seat. I also ran a ground wire from the light housing to a bolt underneath the rear seat. You can fit either a 6 or 12 volt bulb in the housing. Mine is 6 volt. Pics are viewable in the photo gallery.
dcarlson12

Post by dcarlson12 »

From whence did you get the Hella light fixture?
I like that housing. It looks to be somewhat period correct as far as styling goes.
Thks,
Dwight
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

You should be able to find one on thesamba.com. Do a classified search for "reverse light". For the lens, you can choose "Parts - Type 2/Bus - 1949-67" in the "Categories" section and do a search for "brake lens".

The reverse light housing is a 1967 only for the Beetle. I believe it was on the Karmann Ghia from 1967 to 1969. I think it was also used on the Type 3 at some point.
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

Pics of the 3rd brake light
Attachments
3rdBL-03.jpg
3rdBL-03.jpg (24.69 KiB) Viewed 7477 times
3rdBL-02.jpg
3rdBL-02.jpg (27.99 KiB) Viewed 7477 times
3rdBL-01.jpg
3rdBL-01.jpg (29 KiB) Viewed 7477 times
planenut

3rd brake lite

Post by planenut »

With that light being off the rear glass, and not sealed around the edges, does it not light up the entire back glass red, at night?
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

I went out tonight to check it out. It does light up the immediate glass area a bit but I don't think it is all that distracting. It actually lights up the area under the rear window more. Here is a picture of it taken at night. It's very dark behind my car so I think the glare appears more distracting in the photo than it actually is.
Attachments
3rdBL05.jpg
3rdBL05.jpg (8.11 KiB) Viewed 7451 times
Itskyle

Post by Itskyle »

h~moto wrote:I went out tonight to check it out. It does light up the immediate glass area a bit but I don't think it is all that distracting. It actually lights up the area under the rear window more. Here is a picture of it taken at night. It's very dark behind my car so I think the glare appears more distracting in the photo than it actually is.
Any way to get a picture of what the other person sees at night? In other words, how visible is this to the guy behind you? You're always better assuming people around you don't know how to drive correctly.

Kyle
--
66 Bug current (Wife likes better than the Prius)
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (Miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

Pics of rear of car at night.
Attachments
3rdBL-07.jpg
3rdBL-07.jpg (10.65 KiB) Viewed 7340 times
3rdBL-06.jpg
3rdBL-06.jpg (10.78 KiB) Viewed 7340 times
hercdriver

Post by hercdriver »

From Wikipedia
Effective with the 1986 model year, the United States National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Transport Canada mandated that all new passenger cars come equipped with a CHMSL. The requirement was extended to light trucks and vans for the 1994 model year. Early studies involving taxicabs and other fleet vehicles found that a third, high-level stop lamp reduced rear-end collisions by about 50%. Once the novelty effect wore off as most vehicles on the road came to be equipped with the central third stop lamp, the crash-avoidance benefit declined. However, it did not decline to zero, and a CHMSL is so inexpensive to incorporate into a vehicle that it is a cost-effective collision avoidance feature even at the long-term enduring crash-reduction benefit of 4.3%.
I like the idea of adding a third brake light. I'd prefer it to be LED. Has anyone found a 6 volt LED solution?
dcarlson12

Third brake light

Post by dcarlson12 »

I ended up buying and installing this one:

http://www.brakeflasher.com/brake.htm

I adjusted it to not flash. i.e. it just goes on and stays on continuously as long as the brake pedal is pushed.

Read a few places that some jurisdictions don't allow the light to be flashing except on emergency vehicles.

I bought it with the suction cup mount.
I might change it to some brackets which bolt to the body/steel of the car to eliminate the suction cups but for now it looks ok. The suction cups would be nice for people who want originality at car shows perhaps.

One thing that I like is that it works with both 6 volt and 12 volt without having to make any adjustments to it. That way if I convert to 12 volt in the future I don't have to spend any additional money.

I could take some photos and upload if there is any interest.