Removing old rubber seals

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

bbearls

Removing old rubber seals

Post by bbearls »

I'm getting ready to replace some of the rubber seals on my Bug. I'm starting with the front hood seal and rear decklid seal, followed by the door seals. Then, finally, I'll tackle the seals around the windows. Fortunately, the seals on the windshield and rear window look pretty good.

I can find all kinds of advice on installing the new seals, but nobody talks about a preferred way to remove the old, dried-out rubber seals.

Anybody have any handy tips on this simple sounding project?

Thanks/Bob
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

The door seals may have a bit of glue on the backs but should pull right out. If they don’t, you may have to cut and pry them put. Start at the bottom using a wood paint stir stick. You can cut it down to be as wide as the slot in the door and use as a scraper. This way hopefully you won't damage the paint. You can also the plastic or nylon pry bars used for removing trim.

As far as the deck and hood seals, if dry and hard you will have a blast getting them out without bending the channel they are in. To try and help save the paint around the seal, tape under it and around where you might scratch the paint. Again use a paint paddle and starting at the bottom work the seal out. You might try spraying them with Silicone spray to help loosen of rusted or too hard to move. It will make the rubber slicker so be careful not to stab yourself. For a last resort, I have used an ice pick (my awl was larger than the track) and worked it out along the track.

Be careful and let us know how it works out.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

The hood and decklid seals are pinched at the front and back of each channel. You should carefully open the pinch at each end of each channel, and the seals should peel right out.

Keep in mind the rubber is what causes the hood to pop open when you pull the release handle, and you may run into some difficulty opening it with the rubber removed.