My UK '66 1300

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
Aircooledbenny

Post by Aircooledbenny »

crazydaze wrote:
Aircooledbenny wrote:Have you booked brighton yet? Can't wait !
Yo Benny!

You planning on popping up to the Slough Swapmeet in a week or so?

Alex.
Sorry completely missed this :roll: Next show on the list is Volksworld on the sunday. Should be cool as its my first time 8) :lol:
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Aircooledbenny wrote:
crazydaze wrote:
Aircooledbenny wrote:Have you booked brighton yet? Can't wait !
Yo Benny!

You planning on popping up to the Slough Swapmeet in a week or so?

Alex.
Sorry completely missed this :roll: Next show on the list is Volksworld on the sunday. Should be cool as its my first time 8) :lol:
I hope to be there all weekend, this bug definately will in the club area inside all weekend.

Alex
Aircooledbenny

Post by Aircooledbenny »

8) If i get any pics I'l post up! Im not sure if I'l go in my own but yet or if il go with my dad in his bus! should be a good show though as ive never been before
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Aircooledbenny wrote:8) If i get any pics I'l post up! Im not sure if I'l go in my own but yet or if il go with my dad in his bus! should be a good show though as ive never been before
It's probably the best of the year in it's own way, you WILL have a great time! (get there early, the queues are a nightmare!)
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Don't kids take up an awful lot of time!!!

The poor old girl has been a little neglected of late, but it's time to get her in shape for the show season again!

Had a few servicing issues last year with carbs needing a rebuild and an issue with a valve too, so Engine had a thorough going over, and the Bugpack Mondo exhaust has made an appearance.

I have a few parts on order that I hope to fit before the Volksworld Show at the end of the month. In the meanwhile, just been trying to get some miles under here between the heavy rain that has caused the wettest winter on record here in the southern UK.

Even managed a classic car breakfast meet at The Home of British Motorsport - Brooklands Race Circuit and Museum near Weybridge in Surrey, it was a tad cold when we set off - just 1 degree centigrade bbbrrrrrr!

More pics to follow provided these parts arrive etc!
Bug-Eyed

Post by Bug-Eyed »

That a great restoration job. I'm a little surprised you removed some structural parts without welding in a few supports first. I'm new at this but I haven't seen it done with the pan still in place.
Last edited by Bug-Eyed on Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Bug-Eyed wrote:That a great restoration job. I'm a little surprised you removed some structural parts without welding in a few supports first. I new at this but I haven't seen it done with the pan still in place.
Hi Bug-Eyed!

I had the same concerns when I saw the pics the restorer sent (quite a big name company over here) but was assured that only a corner was done at a time, the channels had been previously replaced so weren't touched and the body wasn't split from the pan at any time, so I guess, it was felt it would stay in shape (this was 1995 of course!)

I would do many things differently, to be honest, any alignment issues on the car are down to whoever fitted that channels 20+ years ago! and if/when the time comes, I'm 100% certain there are bits that will definitely need to be rectified to a higher standard :-)