The first real day of work on the "new" 66

Here's the spot to show off your 1966 Beetle Restoration projects
Fozzy

The first real day of work on the "new" 66

Post by Fozzy »

Wow.. where to begin... I bought this bug out of a field under a tree. The old man who sold it said that it had been parked only a couple of years. I went out and saw it and was looking for a project close to home.. It was not running, and it was going to need brakes. Those were the "knowns"

first day, I plunked down $1500.00 (the guy wouldn't come down) got the guy to go get the title notarized.

Called my insurance agent and had them add the bug then move it to "storage" for $25.00 a year.

Went to get the title changed over and that was no fun at all... $192.50

Then called the tow truck guy.. $50.00 and we got it towed out of the field and dropped in my drive way..

She was officially mine.

jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Congrats Fozzy - she looks to be in pretty good shape. Hope you can get her running without too much trouble.
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

I had to fight the urge to get her running and zoom around town.. decided that this one, I'm going to get right and straight.. I got the WW pans in the garage and an entire brake system.. but now our lovely weather will be triple digits until sometime in the middle of the month and I have to still devise a way to get the body off safely.. I'm looking forward to it all..
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Worked almost all day on the 66. Good news is that I got the car up in the air and looked at the body. The wheel wells look good and the heater channels all the way to the rear fenders look pretty darned good.

The carb was a 30/31 PICT from Brazil. The butterflies were frozen / gummed up and would not move at all. Took the carb out, went to the parts house and grabbed some carb dip and a carb kit.

Bad news! I lost the spring when the choke mechanism finally came loose.. and the black plastic "cup" that goes into the choke broke in several million peices.. VERY brittle and a bit of a ham fist from me.. :oops:

Got the rear drums off to take a look at them..really in need of attention! rusty dirty and worn out! Right rear axle bearing is leaking.. but I think it may have been from just the rolling the car around in the drive way..it wasn't slung all over the drum
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Well, taking the carb apart was interesting.. lost the spring out of the choke section (the cover was stuck on and took some persuading to get off.. as soon as it came off... the spring was a goner!

I broke the plastic "cup" that resides inside the choke.. it was a heck of a day.. went out to the local VW graveyard and rooted around. Bought both parts and paid $2.00 asked about some other things, got sticker shock and FLED the place at a high rate of speed!!

Got home and started assembling the carb.. was stoked that the parts where there and on.. then got to the carb float.. noticed that the float pivot arm was nowhere to be seen.. :roll:

So today I'll go to hoppy lobby and get some small brass tubing and just cut another one.
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Bought some low back seats for the car today. Had to drive 100 miles to get them.. but they are are still cheaper than buying them locally!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Sounds like it was a productive weekend, won't be long and she'll be on the road again!
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

jmartini wrote:Sounds like it was a productive weekend, won't be long and she'll be on the road again!
Seems like every time I work on it.. the further the actual "road date" gets pushed farther back.. :shock:
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Worked all day on the 66... Pulled the rear brakes and rear axle seals.. ordered the axle seals from WW.. then found later when cleaning up the backing plates that the (know that I know the name) leaf springs were missing. (this is the spring metal doober that keeps the brake adjusting stars from moving) So, I have two orders from WW coming.. This is almost a mental illness.. this thing may never be a museum or concourse car.. but the mechanicals are going to be as new as I can get it.
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Got all the parts in today.. hopefully the bug will be on all fours by the end of the day tomorrow!
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Update, please!
Bug-Eyed

Post by Bug-Eyed »

And now we don't know the rest of the story......