My 66 vert named Bell

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
hotrod

My 66 vert named Bell

Post by hotrod »

Hey guys I'm new here and just thought I would post up my 66 Vert.
Its a 66 vert that was originally Yukon Yellow but was repainted sometime in the 80's. I'm not 100% but I think it is now sea blue. I got the Bug from a friend who bought it from the original owner. It has a newly rebuilt 1300 in it and I have the original engine as well that I am going to rebuild and eventually put back in. Interior seems to be original except for the drivers seat. It has been replaced at some point. I need to put a new steering box in it and do some brake work but otherwise she runs and drives great! :)
She had a starting issue and I thought it was the starter but after getting under the car I saw some bad connections. I fixed those and she seems to be starting fine. Also coming home from the club meet last night the headlight were almost non existant. It's still 6v but they were not bright at all. I started checking wiring and everything looked good :scratch: I finally pulled the actual headlights out and they had 2 brand new 12v headlights :no: Now she has correct 6v headlights and all is good again 8)
Anyways here is some pictures. I'll post some more soon

DC-Dubs

Post by DC-Dubs »

It sounds like you are on the right track to get all the little bugs worked out! It's a great looking vert! A loose ground wire can wreak all kinds of havoc on your electrical. Keep your grounds tight and all of your connections clean and if possible solder your connection points. No twisting and then taping. And be careful of crimp on connections not always very secure... Nice job on the trouble shooting though!! Best of luck!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

She's a beaut! Welcome to the forum!
hotrod

Post by hotrod »

Thanks guys!
1966veedub

Post by 1966veedub »

That is one SWEET ride! Post pics with the top up, if you can. Welcome to the forum!
hotrod

Post by hotrod »

I'll take some tomorrow with the top up. Here is a few of the interior
I have a working 6V radio I am getting from a friend soon :)
hotrod

Post by hotrod »

Here are a couple with the top up after buffing the paint today. She buffed out real nice :)

1966veedub

Post by 1966veedub »

[quote="hotrod"]Here are a couple with the top up after buffing the paint today. She buffed out real nice :)[/quote]

Man, that is awesome looking! I also like the smoothie wheels over the correct slotted wheels. Very nice, hotrod!
hotrod

Post by hotrod »

1966veedub wrote: Man, that is awesome looking! I also like the smoothie wheels over the correct slotted wheels. Very nice, hotrod!
Thanks! I just like the look of smoothies. I have another set I am going to powdercoat white then do correct smoothie hubcaps in grey I think.
DC-Dubs

Post by DC-Dubs »

Wow! She did come out lookin sweet! I know you must be proud to own such a beauty! Thanks for sharing the pictures. I love the Orig door panels. Gives it the perfect character!
hotrod

Post by hotrod »

Installed a working 6V sears radio I got from a friend today :)
DC-Dubs

Post by DC-Dubs »

Well Done! She's coming together nicely...
hotrod

Post by hotrod »

Finally got the stance done. I dropped the rear today two splines and installed drop spindles on a 5 inch narrowed beam. :)

Bug-Eyed

Post by Bug-Eyed »

Very nice car. Only needs the wheels centers painted Black.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Very Nice!