66 VW Freed from barn storage after 20 years

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
Wes66VW

66 VW Freed from barn storage after 20 years

Post by Wes66VW »

My Dad bought our 1966 VW sedan in 1968. I took my drivers test in it when I was 16, back in 1970. The car was put in storage in 1983, in a barn behind my Dad's house. He would start it every two or three months and occasionally drive it a few miles. When my Father passed away, Mom wanted me to have the car. I have spent many fond momemts, working with Dad's tools, using his VW manuals, over the past three years working on the car. It's now back to "daily driver" status and reliablity. I've posted pictures of the car stored in the barn and of it being set free. Wes Wadkins
Attachments
The Bug in it's new "barn", a hangar it shares with a Beechcraft Bonanza
The Bug in it's new "barn", a hangar it shares with a Beechcraft Bonanza
Wes66VW1.JPG (31.55 KiB) Viewed 10457 times
Wes66VW
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

It's beautiful Wes - Congratulations - it looks like all your hard work really paid off! That is a sweet looking 66! I'll bet it brings back a ton of great memories everytime you drive it!
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

She is sweet,I take it this one won't be leaving the family any time soon!
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
seabluebug

Post by seabluebug »

That is a beautiful bug - I'd never let that one get away!
1966 - Nothing beats the vintage look!
rroles

Post by rroles »

Sweet car! I'd be keeping that one forever.
bajadave66

Post by bajadave66 »

Just plain Beautiful...................sweet looking VW! I just love the small white wall on the tires. I just might have to look around for that type of tire.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Coker sells it as a radial.

Super car, Wes.
TastyGarage

Post by TastyGarage »

im am the new owner of this beetle. bought it from wes. he did a great job getting it going. since owning it, ive changed afew things here and there, but have kept the og 1300 goin and left the interior and exterior alone.

heres how it looks now

right after purchase from wes, i added the porta walls and the repop rack.
Bug-Eyed

Re: 66 VW Freed from barn storage after 20 years

Post by Bug-Eyed »

Wes66VW wrote:My Dad bought our 1966 VW sedan in 1968. I took my drivers test in it when I was 16, back in 1970. The car was put in storage in 1983, in a barn behind my Dad's house. He would start it every two or three months and occasionally drive it a few miles. When my Father passed away, Mom wanted me to have the car. I have spent many fond momemts, working with Dad's tools, using his VW manuals, over the past three years working on the car. It's now back to "daily driver" status and reliablity. I've posted pictures of the car stored in the barn and of it being set free. Wes Wadkins
That's a beautiful car Wes66VW. Mine will look like that soon I hope. I would like to buy a set of beauty rings as soon as I get a set of White sidewall tires.

Are you by chance former Congressman Wes W. Watkins?