'69 12V Karman Ghia engine into 1300 body

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

porsche99

'69 12V Karman Ghia engine into 1300 body

Post by porsche99 »

A while back, three weeks ago, I got my '66. I posted a happy message on the forum. Anyway, before I could drive BlueBoy much, when my wife was driving her, she seized up. I knew this was coming, but didn't think right away. So....

Until I can rebuild the 1300, I'm putting the engine in from my late 69 Ghia (1500) until I can get the 1300 rebuilt (next winter).

My ?'s to you all are:

Temporarily going to 12 V, any tips.
Can I use the 6 nolt starter? or should I fing one from an autostick?
The Ghia's Voltage regulator was attached to the Ghia body. Do I just drill holes for it in the generator shrouding?
What else should I be mindful of in this process. I want to eventually convert back to 6 volt to keep car original, but atleast for now, just want to drive it.

Thanks for any and all input.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Porsche99:

Here's my two cents for what it's worth:

Make sure that you get voltage reducers on your wipers and radio etc..
Go for a different starter
The voltage regulator doesn't need to be on the generator and I would not risk drilling into it and getting metal in the windings. Just find different spot to temporarily mount it in the engine compartment.

You need new 12 volt headlights etc...

Good luck...and others will chime in I'm sure!
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

The 6volt starter will work fine with 12 volts ,just spins faster,now saying that you have to switch flywheels for there are more teeth on a 12 volt flywheel[142 I believe compared to 112 on a 6volt flywheel] no biggy. you'll need a big torque like bit to remove it but all the auto stores have them and reasonable.Hi all I'm Back
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Scruffy! Great to have you back - you have been missed!