66 Beetle in Michigan

Here's the spot to show off your 1966 Beetle Restoration projects
bbarbre72

66 Beetle in Michigan

Post by bbarbre72 »

I picked this bug up last July(2011). I knew that I had some work ahead of me when I got it cause the sun roof had been left open in the rain and the floor pans had flooded. I didn't think I would have to replace the pans though cause they "looked" pretty solid. Same with the rest of the car. Here are pictures from when I first got it home.

I planned to do a complete tear down so I could see the full condition and that's when I found out how much work this little thing really needed. The front clip was pieced together and screwed together with sheet metal screws.

Heater channels were rusted out(expected this), front firewall was rusted through, door posts and even a little spot on the passenger door.

I built a rack to put the bug on so I could work standing straight up. Even created platform for the disassembled chassis to set on until the wheels go back on.

Inspecting the tunnel I found that the rain water had penetrated the tunnel as well and started rusting. I have cut an access panel so I can clean and treat the inside, maybe replace the fuel line.

That's where it's at now. I have some new floor pans, heater channels, door posts and front firewall on their way from Cip1.com. Will post more pictures as I make progress.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Wow! That's really tore down.
bbarbre72

Progress

Post by bbarbre72 »

New floor pans have been welded on, the tunnel has been cleaned and primed, new fuel line installed. The tunnel has been welded back together. Alignment test with the body looks good.