Time to start

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
Digger89L

Time to start

Post by Digger89L »

In July, 1969, I bought my third Type 1 VW ...a 1966 Bahama Blue model, with 40,000 miles on the odometer. I paid $1100 for it from a local GM dealer. I don't know why someone would have traded-off a 3 year old Beetle, but I recall (in those days) most people would have considered a car "worn out" when it had that kind of mileage (from North American car standards). I live in Saskatchewan, Canada and that summer moved to Vancouver, British Columbia for work and school (1,500 kms away). Over the next two years I drove the VW back and forth perhaps 6 times or more. It was rock solid reliable, but I ended up selling it privately in 1972 and buying a new 1972 Mazda 808 ($2800) when a new Super Beetle would have been about $500 more. Over the years I have occasionally thought about the '66 and kind of kept my eye out for one for a reasonable price. Last year I spotted one for sale online in Alberta. Unfortunately (or perhaps, fortunately) shortly afterwards the car was vandalized and all the windows were smashed out of the car. It was taken off the market. I kept in touch with the seller, and this past weekend drove out there with a truck and trailer (1200 kms round trip) and bought the car for $800 ...less than one-third of last year's asking price. With the cost of the trip, it cost me more than I paid in 1969 !! It's rough, but I think it's in restorable condition. Matching pan and body numbers, period correct engine # (still runs). Mostly all there, missing back seat-back and original driver seat, rusted out floor pans and heater channels. Not the original slotted wheels, and no hub caps. ...and the car is painted PINK! The plan is to start stockpiling replacement parts, etc. and do a complete body-off-pan restoration over the next several years. Look forward to help and advice from this forum and its dedicated members!!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Great Story! Welcome to the forum!
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Glad to hear you're bringing some dignity back to the car!