Rewire

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Jr284

Rewire

Post by Jr284 »

Hi there I'm currently restoring my 1966 beetle, can anyone help with the wiring? What size cables do I need for the job? :D
Roadbug

Wiring a 66 Beetle

Post by Roadbug »

It depends on whether or not you are going back to the stock 6 Volt system or customizing it into a 12 Volt Resto-Mod. You'll need to use
the heavier gauge 6 volt wiring if you stay stock, especially on the battery cables. I think you can get most of it in a harness from VW parts suppliers.
An old car nut who got his driver's license in a new 1961 VW and has owned 10 VW's (1957-1972) since then. Favorite was the 67's (2), but the 66 is the longest owned and current VW.
Jr284

Post by Jr284 »

Thanks for replying, It's a 12v system at the mo so prob going to keep it that way. I've had a look at some of the looms you can get but thought about making one up my self, the person who did a resto b4 me just bodged most things:0(
Roadbug

66 VW wiring

Post by Roadbug »

I've wired many of my own restorations (other than VW) and recently helped a friend who had a kit. Never again will I do it from scratch.
Reason: I knew what each wire did, but the person who cam after me never could know. Therefore a standardized wiring is my new preference. Because I've kept some of my cars over 25 years and memory can fade, I think wiring that matches the available repair books is to my advantage too.
An old car nut who got his driver's license in a new 1961 VW and has owned 10 VW's (1957-1972) since then. Favorite was the 67's (2), but the 66 is the longest owned and current VW.